Knock-Down Work Support




When cutting sheet goods or assembling a large project, an extra work surface sure comes in handy. Problem is, I just don't have enough room in my shop to keep an extra table as a permanent fixture.


Instead, I use a temporary work surface that I can take apart in seconds. The key to the quick knock down is a pair of metal joist hangers that I attach to each of my sawhorses, see photo. Joist hangers are available at most home centers.


The hangers act as "pockets" that hold a couple of 2x4 stretchers, as shown in the drawing below.
Fitting the ends of the stretchers down into the joist hangers creates a large, sturdy work support.


To keep the stretchers from accidentally slipping out, I use a locking pin in each hanger. The pin is simply a bolt that I pass through a hole in the joist hanger, see detail a. below. A nut on the end of each bolt holds it in place. To fit the stretcher over the bolt and nut, all you need to do is drill a pair of counterbores near the end of each stretcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment